Glenarn lies on a hillside above the village of Rhu, overlooking the Gareloch. In private ownership, the history of the 10 acre garden spans from 1850 to the present day. Winding paths, laid out in Victorian times, run through miniature glens under a canopy of oak, linking open sunlit spaces. There is a vegetable patch and beehives, and a rock garden full of surprises.
The famous collection of rare and tender rhododendrons was gathered together by the Gibson family in the 20th century, along with magnolias, embothriums, crinodendrons and other plants that thrive in this sheltered west coast location. By summer, their colour gives way to roses rambling through the trees and climbing hydrangeas. Towards the end of the season, these are followed by the white, starry flowered hoherias and eucryphias and the first tints of autumn colour.
Glenarn is one of the ‘Glorious Gardens of Argyll and Bute’.
The Silent Space
Our Silent Space can be found close to the old orchard in the upper part of the garden and is indicated on the map in our leaflet. From the bench there are views out over the garden towards the Clyde and Gareloch, becoming more enclosed by trees as the season progresses. Enjoy the peace and birdsong above the main visitor route without distractions.
Images © Glenarn
Glenarn is open daily, 21 March to 21 September, from dawn to dusk.