The peaceful Grade II gardens at Parcevall Hall in the Yorkshire Dales are the result of the vision of a quiet and thoughtful man, Sir William Milner. Sir William bought the Parcevall estate in 1927 and transformed its traditional farmhouse and the agricultural land that surrounded it.
Sir William, a knowledgeable plantsman, became a founder member of the Northern Horticultural Society and was involved with the establishment of the Harlow Carr Gardens near Harrogate (now RHS Harlow Carr). Using his many contacts he was able to obtain rare plants for both Parcevall Hall and Harlow Carr from famed plants hunters such as George Forrest. As a result, the gardens at Parcevall Hall contained a rich collection of horticultural treasures.
After Sir William’s death in 1960, the gardens gradually deteriorated. The gardens we enjoy today are the result of renovations undertaken since the 1980s by dedicated garden staff.
The Silent Space
The 24 acres of Parcevall Hall Gardens are unusual. The entire area promotes quiet reflection. Whether sitting on a bench alongside Tarn Ghyll Beck or looking out across the Dales from the cliff walk, the only sounds to be heard are those of nature.
Image © Enid Pyrah
- Web link: www.parcevallhallgardens.co.uk
For opening times please see the Garden's website.